Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Chemistry Issues

Anyway, here is my first little story. I was in Mrs. Walter's AP Chem class... (I love the teacher, love the students, HATE the subject) and we were learning (sort of) something new. I was not getting it (as usual) but I could regurgitate any information she told me, and I could explain it to someone. I'd give analogies, examples, the works, but I had NO idea what I was saying. So I kept asking questions, Mrs. Walter thought I was just trying to stall for time. She thought if I could explain it so well, I MUST understand... which is a reasonable assumption. However, I was not trying to stall (for once) I honestly did not understand anything about what I was saying. She was just flabbergasted. We also realized one of my biggest problems, on tests I could answer the questions, because I just knew where the numbers went, but I had NO idea what it meant in the end. I could tell you how to do PV=nRT problems, and I could tell you how to solve of k=[A]^m x [B]^n, but I had no idea what it meant when I said that m and n equal the order. So we decided that from now on, whenever I explain anything, she'll have me break it down and tell her what it really means. She said she's never had a student like me, who she honestly couldn't get through to even if we are both trying. Yeah, I'm messed up... if only we had realized this earlier in the year, maybe then I'd have a shot at the AP test. Eh, maybe I would have even signed up for it! Oh the joys of science.

2 comments:

BreeAnn said...

flabbergasted is a fun word.

Kassi said...

Isn't it though? People should strive to use it in their daily lives!